SPECIAL PATROLMAN PROGRAM
FOR NYC BUSINESSES AND ORGANIZATIONS
Are you a business owner or executive director that is concerned about crime or terrorism on your property? Your organization can now have its own peace officer force to protect life and property on your business premises. New York City and State law provides for the licensing and operation of a proprietary peace officer force within private sector entities. This unique public safety initiative is officially known as the SPECIAL PATROLMAN PROGRAM. The primary role of a Special Patrolman is enhancement of law enforcement and security. This unique program is a joint public safety endeavor in cooperation with the New York City Police Department.
Advanced Protection Consultants LLC, provides consulting services for qualified businesses and organizations to participate in the Special Patrolman Program. We handle all protocols for the licensing and operation of the Special Patrolman Program. Our experienced consultants are former law enforcement officers.
Special Patrolmen are peace officers as prescribed by New York State law and have law enforcement authority and arrest powers. Special Patrolmen are appointed by the direction of the New York City Police Commissioner. The NYPD will deputize your designated employees as Special Patrolman and issue each officer a badge and identification card. Special Patrolmen may carry firearms at the option of their employer and with proper NYPD licensing.
Our affiliated law enforcement academy in Manhattan is staffed by experienced instructors that teach peace officer and firearms courses. Our course curriculum is approved by New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services, Bureau of Municipal Police. The basic peace officer training course for peace officers is 121 hours. The course includes: Patrol Procedures & Techniques, Deterring and Detecting Crime, Arrest Procedures, Tactical Handcuffing, Baton Techniques, Use of non-lethal force (pepper spray & taser), and instruction on relevant City, State and Federal laws. Special Patrolmen that are authorized to carry a firearm will receive an additional 40 hours of firearms training. We also offer the required annual refresher courses for peace officer.
Special Patrolmen are authorized to…
- Wear police style uniforms or regular plain clothes
- Use police frequency radios for two-way communication
- Carry licensed firearms, batons, pepper spray, handcuffs, etc.
- Use marked emergency vehicles for patrol
- Control and direct vehicular traffic
- Make lawful arrests for misdemeanors and felony crimes
- Issue summonses for criminal offences, parking and traffic violations or environmental/sanitation law violations
Special Patrolman receive peace officer status specifically from New York State Criminal Procedure Law Section 2.10, subsection 27, N.Y. ADC LAW § 14-106 and by Rules of the City of New York, Chapter 13 of Title 38.
Special Patrolmen are appointed by direction of the New York City Police Commissioner. Special Patrolman are sworn law enforcement officers, unlike private security guards or auxiliary police officers who do not have any law enforcement authority or arrest powers.
The Special Patrolman Program is suitable for housing developments, office complexes, hotels, banks, schools and educational institutions, medical centers and hospitals, houses of worship, shopping malls, sports stadiums, theaters, large retail stores, business improvement districts, utility companies, and other sensitive or high risk businesses. The Special Patrolman Program is exclusively for entities that are located within New York City.
The following organizations participate in the Special Patrolman Program:
- CO-OP City Houses, Bronx, NY
- Peter Cooper-Stuyvesant Town, New York, NY
- Lefrak City Organization, Rego Park, NY
- Roosevelt Island Operating Corporation, New York, NY
- Big Six Towers, Woodside, NY
- Bloomingdale’s Department Store, New York, NY
- Lord & Taylor Department Store, New York, NY
- Macy’s Department Store, New York, NY
- Parkchester North Condominiums, Bronx, NY
- Parkchester South Condominiums, Bronx, NY
- Shubert Theater Organization, New York, NY
- Hunt’s Point Farmer’s Market, Bronx, NY
- Madison Square Garden, New York, NY
- Queens Center Mall, Elmhurst, NY
- Times Square Malls, New York, NY
- Saint Barnabas Hospital, Bronx, NY
- New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs, New York, NY
- John Jovino Company Inc., New York, NY
- Emigrant Savings Bank, New York, NY
- Milstein Properties Inc., New York, NY
- Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, NY
- New York Public Library, New York, NY
- Many other organizations participate in the Special Patrolman Program but are too numerous to list here.
If you are a business owner or executive director, then we welcome your inquiry regarding the Special Patrolman Program.
NOTE: Individuals seeking appointment as a Special Patrolman must first be hired and sponsored by a participating employer and pass the requisite background checks for deputization.